Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy and learn something while reading my blogs. Happy reading...

September 27, 2009

How to Compute Time Deposit Interest

Here is the "How to" on how to compute your earnings if you put your money in Time Deposit with the bank.  I remembered several months ago when I was hopping from one bank to another along Ayala Ave. seeking a bank that gives the highest interest rates returns.  Happy reading... 

Legend:

P = Present Value
m = 4 if quarterly, 12 if monthly
i = Interest rate
n = Number of years

Simple Formula:

InterestEarned = [PresentValue * InterestRate * (No. of days of maturity / No. of days in a year)] * (1 - 20%)

Actual Formula:

InterestEarned = [PresentValue [(1+i/m)^m-1]] * (1-20%) / m

Tax = (1-20%)



Example:

P = Php 100,000
Maturity date = 35 days
Interest rate = 2.5 %

Interest Earned = P * I * Maturity date / 365

Interest Earned = Php 100,000 * 0.025 * 35 / 365

Interest Earned = Php 239.00

But wait, there are still tax to be deducted,

If Tax = 20%

So,

Interest Earned = Php 239 * (1-20%)

Finally,

Interest Earned = Php 191.20 (your actual interest earned)


This is not yet fully furnished..........to be edited.......

No comments:

"THY words is the lamp unto my FEET and the light unto my PATH"