Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy and learn something while reading my blogs. Happy reading...

September 20, 2008

Linux Basic Command

I have just installed Linux (Fedora 9) as my primary OS on my new laptop (MSI VR340) to widen my experience in the world of IT. I believe many companies use this OS because of its stability and open source.

Below are some basic Linux/UNIX command that I learned when using the said Linux Distributions:

cp
copy command



~
home directory



.
current directory


mkdir
make directory


rm
remove directory



cat > x.txt
make x.txt file



mv
move command


su
login as root

sudo
command with root priviledges


configure DNS servers
# vi /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 208.67.222.222 (server 1)
nameserver 208.67.220.220 (server 2)

netstat -t
interface statistics


ethtool >
interface media settings and options


rpm -ivh package.rpm
install package.rpm


cd
go to root folder


traceroute
trace route


arp -a
arp cache

ifconfig -a
current ip configuration

netstat -nr
current routing table

netstat -a
TCP connection and listening ports

netstat -s
TCP/IP statistics




























.





No comments:

"THY words is the lamp unto my FEET and the light unto my PATH"