Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy and learn something while reading my blogs. Happy reading...

September 23, 2008

Linux Tutorial - Change MAC Address Permanently

The reason I made this tutorial is because I have some difficulty using my Smartbro internet connection. Me and my brother are sharing this internet connection. He is using his desktop while mine is laptop.

Smartbro is using only one mac address of the PC in order to authenticate from their system. So, one internet connection per pc at a time. So when my brother is successfully using the internet the smartbro account from his desktop, then I switch the connection to laptop, I have to enter again the username and password.

So, in order to eliminate the hassle of inputting the username and password whenever there is a switch of computer, the two computers must have the same mac address.

In my case, I am using Linux as my primary OS with the FEDORA 9 - Sulphur distribution. Using the google, I successfully configured my Fedora LINUX to clone the Desktop MAC address.

If you want to clone a MAC address using Windows XP, click here for "Changing MAC address in Windows XP".

Here it is for "Changing the MAC address of LINUX Fedora 9 - Sulphur"


1. Open Terminal
2. su - (log-in as a root)
3. gedit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-XXX (edit the networking device config)

where:
ifcfg-xxx - name of the networking interface (ifcfg-eth0 in my case)

4. Edit the
HWADDR=desired MAC address
BOOTPROTO=none

# Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:30:1a:00:30:1a
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=


5. gedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local (command execution during boot-up process)

- add the following below the document and save.

ifconfig eth0 hw ether
/sbin/dhcpcd (using dhcp)

example:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:30:1a:00:30:1a
/sbin/dhcpcd eth0

6. shutdown -r now (reboot)


END----------------

No comments:

"THY words is the lamp unto my FEET and the light unto my PATH"