Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy and learn something while reading my blogs. Happy reading...

October 7, 2008

How to Use Lay and Lie in a Sentence

Mastering English without a Teacher

lay
- means to place
- transitive verb
- can transfer its action to an object, and it can be used either in active and passive voice.

present - I lay, I am laying
past - I laid, I have laid

1. John lays the carpet
2. John is laying a carpet
3. John laid a carpet.
4. John has laid a carpet


lie
- means to recline
- intransitive verb
- it cannot transfer its action to an object.
- it can be used only in the active voice.

present - I lie, I am lying
past - I lay, I have lain

1. That cat lies on the carpet
2. The cat is lying on the carpet
3. The cat lay on the carpet
4. The cat has lain on the carpet


Lie- to tell an untruth

- The prisoner lies
- The prisoner is lying
- The prisoner lied
- The prisoner has lied.


end--------------->

In order to do what really matters to you, you have to, first of all, know what really matters to you.

Dr. Edward Hallowell

No comments:

"THY words is the lamp unto my FEET and the light unto my PATH"