Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy and learn something while reading my blogs. Happy reading...

October 6, 2008

Using Affect and Effect in A Sentence

from Mastering English without a Teacher

1. Use effect if you can substitute the meaning of bring about, or result, for the required word.

2. Use affect if you can't substitute the meaning of bring about, or result.

3. Never use effect before a word denoting a person, such as me, you, him, man, woman, Jerry, Joan.


Examples:


- What was the effect of the new plan he adopted?
- How did the speech affect you?
- Mr. Smith affected a sadness he didn't feel.


end---------------->

You can't help someone get up a hill without getting closer to the top yourself.

H. Norman Schwarzkopf

No comments:

"THY words is the lamp unto my FEET and the light unto my PATH"